ZiiLABS Announces ZMS-20 & ZMS-40 Energy-Efficient Processors Optimized for High-Performance Android 3.0 Tablets
ZiiLABS' ZMS-20 Combines 48 Stemcell Media Processing Cores and Dual 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A9 Processors to Reshape the Landscape for Tablet Computing
Singapore - 10th May 2011 - ZiiLABS, a pioneering media processor and platforms Company and a wholly owned subsidiary of Creative Technology Ltd., today introduced its most powerful and energy-efficient processor, the ZMS-20, Engineered for high-resolution tablet computing, the ZMS-20 combines 48 Stemcell media processing cores with dual 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processors with Neon to deliver stunning 1080p high profile video playback, immersive OpenGL ES 2.0 3D graphics, HD video calling and a rich desktop browsing experience including Adobe Flash player.
With multi-core application acceleration and dynamic power management for longer battery life the ZMS-20 delivers the efficient, high-performance platform required for the next generation of Android 3.0 based devices.
Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) tablets and associated design-kits based on the ZMS-20 will be showcased at the ZiiLABS suite in Taipei, Taiwan between 31 May and 4 June at the Computex 2011 tradeshow.
"Designed to increase application performance by 4X over the ZMS-08 processor, the ZMS-20 was specifically engineered to meet the performance and power efficiency requirements of high-resolution Android tablets more effectively than any other processor on the market," said Hock Leow, president of ZiiLABS. "The ZMS-08 established our leadership position for High Profile H.264 playback and the ZMS-20 takes that to the next level by adding dual ARM Cortex A9 cores plus a host of new features such as DDR3 and LPDDR2 support, HDMI 1.4 and OpenCL."
"As consumer demand for smarter connected devices increases, so does the industry's requirement for low-power, high performance semiconductor solutions,” commented Eric Schorn, Vice President Marketing, Processor Division, ARM. "The combination of Cortex-A9 processors incorporating ARM NEON and TrustZone technologies provides the multicore technology to drive the latest Android tablets and ensure a high quality user experience."
ZMS-20 Key Features
- Dual 1.5GHz ARM Cortex A9 cores with Neon
ZiiLABS flexible Stemcell media processing capabilities
- Low-energy SIMD architecture for high performance media acceleration
- 48x 32-bit floating point processing elements for 26GFlops of compute
- High Profile H.264 video playback at 1080p@30fps
- Wide range of accelerated video codecs including H.264, VC1 and VP8
- High Definition, low latency video conferencing
- Optimised OpenGL ES 2.0 for robust 3D graphics acceleration and application compatibility
- Accelerated OpenCL 1.1 (desktop profile) integrated into Android NDK
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) Image Processing
- High-quality Text-to-Speech and Voice Recognition
- 150 MPixel/sec image processing
- Adobe Flash 10 acceleration
- Integrated HDM1 1.4 with 3D stereo support
1GB addressable memory
- DDR2/3 at 533 MHz for low-cost
- LPDDR2 for maximum memory bandwidth and low-power
- 64-bit wide memory bus
- Quad independent video controllers supporting 24-bit displays and cameras
- 3V3 and 1V8 I/O's reduce peripheral power consumption
- Dual USB 2.0 HS OTG (Host/Peripheral) controllers with PHY for low system cost
- Three independent SDIO/MMC controllers
- Extended battery life with robust Dynamic Power Management and Instantaneous On
- Xtreme Fidelity X-Fi audio effects
- Enhanced Security: 256-bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) and TrustZone
The ZMS-20 is sampling now to select customers and is scheduled for volume shipment to customers in the 3rd quarter of 2011. Detailed specifications of the ZMS-40 will be announced later
Complete Tablet Solutions
ZiiLABS' high-quality OEM-ready reference platforms combine all the hardware, software and integration required to enable ODMs to rapidly deliver customized solutions to meet the growing demand for next-generation Android based tablets.